Friday, February 24, 2006

a new breed of tourist

Can't believe that it's been a month since we've arrived back from our little world trip. It's so hectic and overwhelming. Among my list of things to do is to UPDATE THIS SITE!!!!!! When we're finally settled into our new home, which should be next week, I'm devoting an entire afternoon to updating our photos and diary. Oh, and then I might try to get the old slideprojecter out and invite friends over for a preview.

Right, so it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride trying to get back into the swing of things. Very strange feelings going on here, but generally I think I'm feeling........disoriented. We've chosen to start work in March so we've had a few weeks to sort ourselves out. In the meantime it's been great catching up with family and friends, and interesting racing around the east with a gregorys and a couple of soy lattes/hot chocs-to-go looking for our new abode.

Dave loaded his rucksack again not long after unpacking it and flew off to NZ for a couple of weeks to go walking with the boys. After 365 days, 24/7, together I suffered a bit of separation anxiety....like my friend's cross cavalier dog who goes crazy when she's not around......but I got over it and loved my own space. Perhaps should suggest temporary single-life arrangement? 3 weeks on, 1 week off? Just kidding babe.

Found this article about the "flashpacker", as opposed to backpacker, a new breed of "individuals who are perhaps a little older than the post-uni, pre-life 21-year-old backpacker who have a larger budget but less time." I struggled with the stereotype of a backpacker while we were travelling because whilst we did rough it, we also had the choice not to. Our budget was generous enough to allow us to do pretty much everything we wanted to and more........without having to stay in flea ridden dorms and eating toast!

Now, I'm off to the beach............but after I contact my agent. Gotta find a way to help fund our next trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home