Saturday, December 24, 2005

a Very Munnar Christmas!

I was so homesick the first time I ever had xmas away from my family! I missed mum getting stressed out about the food, chilling out with dad, sis and lil' bro on the sofas while watching dvds with the a/c on to keep us cool from the 40deg heat outside, then rushing off to our extended family xmas gathering with all my titos, titas, nanay, cousins, cousin-in-laws and all my little nephews and lil' niece. The titos would sit around drinking chivas, the titas and nanay havin a goss and experimenting with 'midori and lemonade' (hardcore), the little ones running around like crazy, and my cousins and I having a laugh, drinking and eating till our stomachs hurt. Then we'd all have kris kringle, something we've been doing for years now and which always reminds me of a funny little incident with our cheeky nanay (something to do with picking out names from the hat...wink, wink....we know!!!!).

After the excitement of opening our gifts we'd watch all the little ones rip open their presents. I always love watching this! Then, we'd continue throughout the night into early morning, with nanay and the mums keeping the enormous buffet topped up in between competitions on the karaoke machine. After the dads have sobered up, we'd head home in the early early morning, drift off to sleep and on xmas morning open presents with mum, dad, bro, sis and partners underneath our xmas tree before having breakkie and lounging around for the rest of the day.

This xmas instead of our usual party of 50 or so there's 3 of us - dave, myself and lops - up in the tea and spice plantations of Munnar. Our cottage sits on the highest peak and overlooks the plantations below. We've decorated our little hut and we've set a budget of 100 rupees (that's 3 bucks!!) to buy each other presents. I bought dave a skipping rope. Then we're going to head to a xmas do here with a huge indian curry buffet, bonfire, games and bollywood disco! Hopefully get to win a couple of games.

Happy holidays everyone and a very merry xmas to all!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home